- About Artistic Pools
- Residential Pools & Spas
- Our Process
- Awards & Affiliations
- Outdoor Living
- Contact Us
If you are looking for a way to add beauty as well as function, you might consider adding an arbor to your backyard landscape. Arbors are a fun and creative way to accessorize your Atlanta outdoor living environment.
Two 4×4 posts (10 feet long)
Two 2×6 (6 feet long)
Two 2×6 (7 feet long)
Twenty-six 2×2 rails (45 inches long)
Eight galvanized lag screws
Tools: Jigsaw, Posthole Digger, Hammer, Drill, Ladder, Framing Square, Level
1. Start by using a posthole digger to dig 2 holes that are 2 feet deep. Place the posts into the holes and pour approximately 6 inches of gravel in the hole. Check the posts for proper straightness and then fill the hole with concrete.
2. Now, take your two 2×6 pieces of wood and cut them into 4 even sections. Using the drill, and the square, place these crossbeams on the front and back of the posts. Attach with the lag screws.
3. Using a jigsaw, shape the ends of your 7-foot 2×6. The design could be inspired by your home or an existing structure in your yard.
4. Using the galvanized nails, attach the 7-foot beams to your posts. Be sure that the 7-foot beams are perpendicular to the 3-foot crossbeams. Use a minimum of 2 nails per end.
5. Cut your 2×2 rails to proper length allowing each end to have approximately ½ an inch of overhang. Drive one nail through each end. Place another rail beside the existing rail to determine the proper spacing. Proceed until all rails are used.
6. Your arbor structure is now structurally complete. You can either stain or paint the arbor to match your home.
This arbor will serve as a great entrance to your backyard living space or as a unique place to hide away and read a good book.
Arbors are traditionally small covered areas that grace walkways and gardens to provide a bit of shade or protection from the weather. They can be constructed out of a variety of materials to suit any home and garden, from traditional to contemporary, and can include benches to provide a secluded getaway for relaxing.
You can find arbor kits and plans at your local home improvement stores and online, allowing you to construct an arbor that suits your home and needs easily. Follow these simple steps on how to build an arbor for your backyard.
Once the basic arbor is completed you can add your “options”. You can add a free standing bench if one is not built in, plant climbing vines to provide additional coverage, or add wind chimes or other accents for whimsy.
As a homeowner, you are always looking for the next great way to add ambience and beauty to your home. You spend countless hours choosing the right colors for your walls and you meticulously care for your flooring, so it would seem only natural for you to spend the same amount of time working in your yard. Your landscaping is the first thing that people see when they arrive at your home, and it is also the first thing that you will notice when you walk outdoors. With this in mind, here are a few ideas about landscaping your backyard and your swimming pool area.
First, we all understand that the sun is not always kind to our bushes or trees. Our climate’s high temperatures and lack of rain can really wreak havoc on vegetation, but there are a few things you can do to remedy this issue. Have you considered installing a sprinkler system? This is a great way to add hydration to your yard and to make sure that the sun does not destroy all that you have worked so hard to create.
Natural stone is a great way to add boundaries and beauty to your yard. A great idea for your swimming pool area would be a natural stone water feature. This might sound complicated but it really only requires the right materials and some experienced helpers.
Vegetation is always a good thing to have in your yard. Why not embrace the heat, and the area that we love, by installing region specific plants, such as succulents? These types of plants do not require a large amount of water and offer a great color for your yard. If this is not something you would like, take a walk on the wild side and add a few palm trees.